What is the Admissions process for The Tome School?
See our Admissions page for details about our process. We look forward to receiving your application!
When is the first day of school?
- August 28 for Grades 5-9 (1 PM dismissal)
- August 29 for Grades K-4, 10-12. Everyone in attendance this day. (1 PM dismissal)
What does my child wear to school on the first day?
- Students in Grade 9 should wear casual, but appropriate school clothes on August 28 ONLY.
- NO flip-flops or shorts. All other students are to wear the school uniform on their first day.
What are some of the uniform requirements?
- Boys in Grades 9-12 only may wear khaki dress slacks.
- Boys shirts in Grades K-8 must be light blue, oxford cloth, button-down collar, long-sleeve OR short-sleeve.
- Boys in Grades K-6 may wear gray uniform shorts until Oct. 1 and after spring break. They must wear blue socks with the shorts in Gr K-4.
- Girls may NOT wear knit shirts.
- Students’ hair must be conservatively cut and ONE NATURAL COLOR. Boys’ hair may not hang below collar, ears or eyebrows.
- Shoes with heels over 1” are prohibited in LS. NO student may wear boots, sneakers or sandals, platform or multi-colored shoes to school.
When are my children’s Summer Math Packets due?
Middle School math packets are to be postmarked by August 15. If you prefer to drop off your packet, please remember that we close at 1 PM daily until August 18. Upper School students were mailed specific instructions regarding the online ALEKS (Assessment and Learning in Knowledge Spaces) program.
When is the Summer Reading due?
Check our School Forms page under Academic Forms for Summer Reading requirements by grade.
I’ve heard that boys can wear shorts to school. Is my 6th grade son permitted to do this?
Shorts may be worn in grades K-6 as part of the “summer uniform”. Summer uniform changes begin the Monday following Spring Break and end on the 1st day of October. Be advised that navy blue socks and school shoes must be worn with the shorts for Gr K-4. Gr 5 & 6 may wear white or navy or gray socks.
My child is new this year. What do I need to have on file before school starts?
- If your child is entering in grades 1-12, we have requested academic and health records from their prior school. You will soon hear from the school nurse if your child’s immunization records (or Blood Lead Testing Certificate required for students entering grades K-3) are not up-to-date.
- If your child is entering kindergarten this fall, it is imperative that we have the following information:
- Birth Certificate
- Health Assessment
- Immunization Records
- Blood Lead Testing Records
These forms, and a cover letter, were mailed to all incoming kindergarten parents. If you haven’t yet turned in this paperwork, you will be hearing from one of our volunteer nurses soon.
I am interested in your After Care program. Could you tell me a little bit about it?
Tome’s After Care program is open to students from grades K (full day) – 8. Hours of operation are 3:00 to 5:30PM, Monday through Friday when school is in session. Interested parents should pre-register their child(ren) for 2017-2018 as soon as possible, as space is limited. See Quick Links for a registration form. Once your child is registered, he or she is welcome to enter the program. You are also welcome to call the Business Office to make sure your child is on the After Care list. For more information, see our Aftercare page.
My child wants to wear clogs to school. Is this permitted?
Yes, but only for students in grades 5-12. Younger students must wear regular school shoes, not sandals, boots, clogs or sneakers. No heels over 1″ in Lower School. No platform shoes.
My son has let his hair grow over the summer. What is the school policy regarding hair color and length?
All students’ hair should be neatly and conservatively cut and ONE NATURAL color. Boys hair may be no longer than the bottom of the ears and may not cover the eyebrows or collar.
When will I find out my child’s teacher?
Students in grades K-5 will receive notification in the mail. Traditionally, we mail your child a personalized letter the 2nd week of August. Students in grades 6-12 will report to their homeroom on the first day of school where they will receive their Class Schedule. Homeroom listings will be posted in the cafeteria and throughout the school.
New Parents are strongly urged to attend the New Parent Meetings which will be held on Monday, August 21, at 6:00 PM. Parents of students entering 1st, 5th and 9th grades are also welcome to attend these meetings, as these are our transitional grades of Lower, Middle and Upper Schools. Kindergarten Back-To-School Night is that same date, also at 6:00 PM. If you are new to Tome School, we invite you to come upstairs to the Alumni Room afterward where there will be another presentation for new parents.